How To Lose Weight With PCOS?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) affects up to 1 in 10 women and girls during their reproductive years. The complex hormonal condition can cause a range of symptoms, including weight gain and difficulty losing weight. If you have PCOS and are struggling with weight management, don’t lose hope. With the right lifestyle changes and strategies, you can successfully lose weight and improve your overall health. In this blog, we will explore the most effective ways to lose weight with PCOS.
Understanding PCOS and Weight Gain
PCOS is characterised by hormonal imbalances that can lead to a variety of symptoms, including weight gain. While the exact cause of PCOS remains unknown, factors such as insulin resistance, hormonal imbalances, slow metabolism, inflammation, and genetic predisposition can contribute to weight gain in individuals with PCOS.
Insulin resistance, a common feature of PCOS, causes cells to become less responsive to insulin, leading to higher insulin levels in the body. This can promote weight gain, particularly in the abdominal area. Hormonal imbalances, such as elevated levels of androgens (male hormones), can affect metabolism and increase appetite and cravings for carbohydrates. Additionally, a slower metabolic rate and chronic low-grade inflammation associated with PCOS can further contribute to weight gain. Genetic factors may also play a role in PCOS-related weight gain.
The Importance of Lifestyle Changes
When it comes to losing weight with PCOS, adopting a healthy lifestyle is crucial. Making sustainable changes to your diet, exercise routine, sleep patterns, stress management, and seeking medical support can significantly impact your weight loss success.
Implementing a Balanced Diet
A well balanced diet is key to successful weight loss with PCOS. Focus on incorporating nutrient-dense, anti-inflammatory foods into your meals. These include:
- Vegetables: Fill your place with colourful, non-starchy vegetables such as leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, and bell peppers.
- Fruits: Opt for low glycemic index fruits like berries, apples and pears.
- Whole-grains: Choose whole-grains such as quinoa, brown rice, and oats, which provide sustained energy for fibre.
- Lean Proteins: Include lean sources of protein like chicken, fish, tofu, and legumes for satiety and muscle development.
- Healthy Fats: Incorporate sources of healthy fats like avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil into your meals.
- Fibre: Increase your fibre intake by consuming foods like whole-grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables.
It’s also important to reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates, processed foods, added sugars, and sodium. These can negatively impact insulin sensitivity, hormonal balance and weight management.
Regular physical activity is essential for weight loss and overall health. Aim for a combination of cardiovascular exercises, strength training, and activities you enjoy. Cardiovascular exercises like running, cycling, or swimming can improve insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular health. Strength training helps build muscle, which can enhance metabolism and improve PCOS symptoms.
Getting sufficient, high-quality sleep is crucial for managing PCOS symptoms and supporting weight loss efforts. Aim for seven to eight hours of sleep per night. Establish a regular sleep schedule, create a relaxing bedtime routine, and create a comfortable sleep environment to optimise your sleep quality.
High stress levels can impact hormone balance and contribute to weight gain. Find stress management techniques that work for you, such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or engaging in hobbies you enjoy. Prioritise self-care and make time for activities that help you relax and unwind.
Consult with the clinician team at My Weight Loss Clinic, including their team of dietitians who specialise in PCOS, to create a customised weight loss plan tailored to your needs. Our team of experts can offer personalised guidance, closely monitor your progress, and tackle any underlying health issues that might impact your journey in weight management. If eligible, we are also equipped to suggest medications or injections that could aid in your weight loss endeavours.
Additional Strategies for Successful Weight Loss with PCOS
In addition to the lifestyle changes mentioned above, there are other strategies you can incorporate to enhance your weight loss journey with PCOS. These include:
- Supplements: Certain supplements, such as myo-inositol, carnitine, vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, chromium, and berberine, have shown potential benefits in PCOS-related weight loss. However, it’s important to consult with your healthcare provider before incorporating any new supplements into your routine.
- Hydration: Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Water helps maintain a healthy metabolism, aids digestion, and can help control appetite.
- Meal Planning: Work with a PCOS nutritionist to create personalised meal plans that consider your unique needs and challenges. They can help you make informed choices about calorie intake, food combinations, and timing to support weight loss and manage PCOS symptoms.
- Mindful Eating: Practice mindful eating by savouring your meals, chewing slowly, and being aware of your body’s hunger and fullness cues. This can help prevent overeating and promote a healthier relationship with food.
Get Professional Support at My Weight Loss Clinic
If you’re looking for professional support and guidance on your weight loss journey with PCOS, contact the team at My Weight Loss Clinic. We offer medical weight loss solutions to patients across Australia through telehealth consultations. Our experienced clinicians and dietitians can provide personalised nutrition and lifestyle counselling to help you reach your specific goals.
Our initial appointment is bulk billed by Medicare, ensuring high-quality care at an affordable price. Whether you need help with healthy eating for sustainable weight loss or managing chronic diseases, our team is here to support you every step of the way.
Don’t let PCOS hold you back from achieving your weight loss goals. With the right strategies and support, you can successfully lose weight and improve your overall health. Take the first step towards a healthier future by booking a free consultation with My Weight Loss Clinic today.